Blake House Inn
Built circa 1847 by Joseph B. Pyatt, the BLAKE HOUSE INN, with its 22″” thick native stone walls laid in lime and clay mortar and its original 14″” ornamental plaster ceilings, is one of the finest examples of Italianate architecture with Gothic influences in the Asheville area. The house originally served as the summer home of Dr. Frederick Blake, a wealthy rice plantation owner from Charleston, South Carolina. However, during the closing days of the Civil War, the house also served as a Confederate Field Hospital. The Confererate Soldiers were cared for in the bedrooms upstairs. Some of the nurses took pity on the injured Union soldiers and cared for them in the tunnel system under the Inn.
Located on the first floor of the BLAKE HOUSE INN is SYCAMORES, our fine dining restaurant. There are two formal dining rooms, a large center hall, a large parlor, LABRADOR LANDING PUB, and a private dining room also used for breakfast. There are two large handicap-accessible bathrooms and a large covered porch, where weather permitting, meals are served. The BLAKE HOUSE INN has five well-appointed guest rooms, all located on the second floor. Each room comes with a private bath and sitiing area. Also located on the second floor is a spacious common area, complete with sofa and game table. The Chef’s prepare a gourmet breakfast for the guests, served in the breakfast room, dining rooms, on the porch or patio. Also on Sundays our guests have a choice of breakfast or sleeping in and enjoying a later Sunday Brunch.